Group Visits & Adult Learning
We have an active public and private programme of talks, tours and sessions at Tudor House.
Want to find out about access to the museum? Click here.
In addition to privately booked activities, throughout the year we offer a fantastic range of ticketed events to enjoy, including tours, talks and adult workshops. These are delivered at the museum, at our sister venues Southampton City Art Gallery and Tudor House & Garden, and also online via Zoom. You can browse all of our upcoming events for adults and families at our designated ticketing website www.wegottickets.com/SouthamptonCulture.
We offer a varied programme of private tours. All tours are led by a specialist with a background in history or archaeology. Tours include:
Tudor House & Garden– Discover the secrets and stories of this incredible house. This tour includes access to the attic and cellars, areas of the house that are normally not open to members of the public.
Southampton’s Old Town– Uncover Southampton’s hidden past with this walking tour around and under the Old Town, exploring stories of merchants, mayhem and murder along the way! This tour visits some of the medieval vaults beneath the town.
Sir Bevois and Ascupart– Southampton has a mythical founder, Sir Bevois. His legacy remains today in the form of pictures, street furniture and place names in the city. This tour explores the Bevois story by exploring the old town and includes a visit to the famous Bargate.
The Southampton Blitz– Southampton was heavily bombed during the Second World War. This walking tour descends into a number of the public air-raid shelters and explores the experiences of those who lived through some of the darkest days of Southampton’s history.
Haunted Tudor House– Tudor House is believed by some to be one of the most haunted buildings in Hampshire. Join us for this new tour of spooky goings on in the house. This tour includes access to the attics and the cellars of this 800 year-old house.
Thank you very much for taking the U3A History group on the tour of Tudor House this morning. Everyone said how much they had enjoyed it and had learned so much. Southampton U3A, visited September 2016.
All tours cost £65 (£75 weekends and after-hours) and last about an hour.
Tea & Lunch Offers
Why not complete your visit to us with our exclusive catering deals! Enjoy a cup of tea with scone, jam and cream for only £4 per person or a lunch deal for only £6.50 per person. You can see a sample of our lunch offer menu here. Please note these offers are only available when booking a tour or talk and are subject to availability.
Tudor House offers a range of illustrated talks on many different subjects. These are available at the museum or can be booked as an outreach talk or online via platforms such as Zoom. Talks in the museum cost £65 plus admission and outreach talks cost £65 plus travel. All talks are subject to availability. Titles include:
- 1338 And All That Southampton suffered a catastrophic raid at the hands of French pirates at the beginning of the Hundred Years War. This talk unpicks the story and delves into Southampton’s medieval past.
- Georgian Southampton: The Age of Spas, Stagecoaches and Highwaymen During the 18th century Southampton grew into a prosperous spa resort. Discover its story in this talk based on the town in the Georgian era.
- A History of Tudor House Discover the story of Southampton’s most important historic building, from its Norman roots through the dark days of the Southampton Blitz, and everything in between.
- A History of Southampton in Buildings Explore the history of the town by finding out about a number of important buildings in the town today and what they tell us about Southampton’s past.
- Anglo-Saxon Southampton During the Dark Ages Southampton became one of the most important Anglo-Saxon towns in England. Unpick its story by exploring the archaeological evidence they left behind.
- Southampton’s Missing Vikings Historical sources tell us that marauding Vikings could be found in Southampton, but the archaeology has remained silent. This talk explores what was happening in Southampton during the age of King Alfred and the Golden Age of the Norsemen.
- If Walls Had Ears: Southampton’s Medieval Defences This talk explores the story of Southampton through its defensive walls and touches on some of their pivotal moments including the devastating French raid that was the impetus for their creation, how it defended a major medieval and Tudor trading port, and its later roles as a space for entrepreneurial inventors and those seeking shelter from German bombers…
- The Ghosts of Tudor House: Southampton’s Most Haunted Building? Go ghost-hunting in this fun talk looking at things that go bump in the night and find out about the reports of ghosts at Tudor House through the centuries.
- The Life and Times of Ellen Wren: A Story of Victorian Southampton The story of Ellen Wren is fairly well-known: she was a woman who stole and drank her way to an early grave and whose death in squalid conditions led to enormous changes in housing in Southampton. This talk charts her life from cradle, to grave, and beyond.
- The Mysterious Death of William Rufus This talk explores a nearly-thousand-years-old mystery- the death of King William II, a stone’s throw from Southampton, in August 1100.
- O God, Our Help In Ages Past: The Story of Southampton’s Hymn This talk explores the Southampton of Isaac Watts’ time and the remarkable story of the hymn’s Southampton links throughout the last 300 years.
- POSH: A History of Southampton Docks Discover the remarkable story of Southampton’s docks and the ocean liners that called the town home.
- The Birth of Southampton Chart the first people who came to the area that is now Southampton from distant prehistory through to Roman settlement of Clausentum.
- Tales of Tudor Southampton 16th century Southampton was awash with privateers, Italian merchants and dodgy deals. Find out more about the town during the reigns of the famous Tudor monarchs.
- The Southampton Blitz Discover the story of wartime Southampton in this talk exploring the Second World War.
- Southampton: Gateway to the World Inspired by our ‘Southampton: Gateway to the World’ exhibition, this talk explores how and why the town has become such an important maritime centre for commerce and the movement of people.
- The Story of St Mary’s Workhouse Discover the story of the St Mary’s poorhouse and delve into what life was like to poor of the town during the Victorian period.
- Stuart Southampton: Mayflower, Civil War and the Great Plague This talk focuses on Southampton in the Stuart era by examining the sailing of the Mayflower, the impact of the Civil War and the catastrophe of the Great Plague.
- A Titanic Conspiracy? Was the sinking of Titanic an elaborate insurance scam, did poor-quality rivets sink her and was a raging fire responsible for her sinking? This talk looks at the conspiracy theories associated with Titanic.
- Titanic: Heroes & Villains This talk explores the famous stories of Titanic by looking at some of the heroes and villains associated with the sinking of the RMS Titanic.
- Victorian Southampton in the Age of Steam, Ships & Slums The 1800s brought new railways, docks and suburbs to Southampton which changed the town forever. This talk explores tales from Victorian Southampton.
These illustrated talks take you on a virtual tour of one of our physical exhibition tours or guided walks. See all of the same sights without leaving the comfort of your chair!
Southampton’s Titanic Story Develop a greater understanding of the tragedy of the RMS Titanic and its affect on Southampton in this expert-led tour of our permanent Titanic exhibition. The tour is designed to complement the collections on display.
Southampton: Gateway to the World Gain an in-depth perspective into Southampton’s history. Find out about the pirate emperor who turned Britain into his own Empire in Roman times and why a witch was brought to St Mary’s Stadium in the 2000s.
Old Police Station– Go behind-the-scenes of SeaCity to discover the story of the Central Police Station which was based here until 2011. Visit a padded cell and visit the old Coroner’s Court.
Civic Centre Clock Tower Ascend Southampton’s iconic clock tower and its incredible history.
Tudor House & Garden Visit one of Southampton’s most historic buildings and find out more about the history of the house and garden.
The Southampton Blitz Southampton was heavily bombed during the Second World War. This walking tour descends into a number of the public air-raid shelters and explores the experiences of those who lived through some of the darkest days of Southampton’s history.
Southampton’s Old Town Uncover Southampton’s hidden past with this walking tour around and under the Old Town, exploring stories of merchants, mayhem and murder along the way! This tour visits some of the medieval vaults beneath the town.
Walking the Titanic– A walking tour exploring the story of Titanic by visiting the places affected by it.
Hands-on History Sessions
Led by a historian or archaeologist, delve into the history of Southampton and Tudor House. All sessions cost £150 and last up to 2 hours. Each session includes an object-based session as well as guided tour elements.
Subjects for study may include:
- Southampton Through Time
- The Tudors
- The Stuarts
- The Victorians
- The Second World War
We offer a reduced admission price to the museum of £3.75 (£2.75 concessions) for groups of 10 or more. In order to be eligible for a discount please pre-book with us.
If you would like to make a booking, or to discuss visiting us please email our Learning Officers at email@example.com or phone us on 023 8083 2810. We offer a broad range of tours and workshops, based on the details and costs below: